Shopping in Stratford
Key stage 3 Geography
Enquiry question: How do two shopping centres meet the needs of different groups of people?
Knowledge and understanding
• Westfield Stratford City attracts shoppers from a wide catchment area
• Stratford Centre attracts local shoppers. Westfield may affect its future
• The two centres meet the needs of different groups of shoppers
• Carry out a questionnaire
• Locate and classify shops on a map
• Navigate using a map
• Empathise with groups of people
Most students will be able to:
• Carry out a questionnaire with two groups of shoppers
• Locate and classify shops on maps of two shopping centres
• Navigate using a shopping centre map
• Assess how well a shopping centre meets the needs of different people
• Consider how peoples’ shopping experience is likely to change in future.
Research some background information about Westfield Stratford City. Locate Stratford on a map and plan journeys from places in London and south-east. Think about different groups of people and their shopping needs.
Meet at Stratford Station. Introduce the two adjacent shopping centres – Stratford Town Centre and Stratford City. Predict who uses each centre and how it meets their needs. In role, write a shopping list.
Sheet 1: Shopper character profiles
Location 1: Stratford Town Centre. Class split into 2/3 groups and rotate the following activities. Carry out questionnaire in pairs with shoppers. Walk through shopping centre to locate and classify shops on map. In role, working in pairs, go shopping to find items on list. Navigate the centre, using map.
Location 2: Westfield Stratford City. Walk through Stratford City to orientate. Again, class split into 2/3 groups to rotate the following activities. Carry out questionnaire in pairs with shoppers outside the perimeter of Stratford City. Locate and classify shops on one level of centre, using Sheet 4. In role, working in pairs, go shopping to find items on list. Navigate the centre, using map.
Sheet 2: Shopper questionnaire
Sheet 3: Stratford Town Centre map
Sheet 4: Stratford City map (ground level)
Share findings from the day. Complete chart to compare the two shopping centres. How do the centres compare? What types of people use each centre? How do they meet the needs of different shoppers? What is the future likely to be for the two shopping centres?
Sheet 5: Shopping centres compared